Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other men who possess intercourse with guys (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) can be utilized among MSM to meet up with partners that are sexual. Increased access to smart phones together with the typical usage of apps discover intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan along with his collaborators to examine the relationships between app usage and sexual wellness among MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among an example of young black colored MSM living in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand brand brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. People who utilized apps reported their most often used apps mexican brides price as Jack’d (69.8%) followed closely by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals utilized on average 8.2 various apps and spent on average 2.1 hours from the apps daily. Although a minority (17%) utilized apps to look for sexual lovers, the typical amount of “app-met partners” with who they involved with insertive sex ended up being 1.19; very nearly 1 / 3rd associated with encounters had been condomless. Moreover, over a quarter of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of the partners that are app-met. High amounts of condomless intercourse and absence of understanding of partners’ HIV status warrant investigation of intimate risk taking among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize</p>
Sexual risk among software MSM that is utilizing had been utilizing a test of 174 app-using MSM in nyc. The analysis addressed 6 contextual facets linked to app usage and investigated the connection between these factors and intercourse that is condomless. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, when alcohol that is using51.1%) so when utilizing any drugs (25.9%). Individuals had been very likely to take part in both insertive and receptive condomless intercourse whenever apps were used when working with any medications or when making use of apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Utilize
Apps show their usefulness that is potential among and healthcare providers wanting to reduce the chance of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 MSM that is app-using in, 63.9% reported willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV evaluating. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention ended up being greater those types of reporting present binge consuming and club drug use 7 that is recent.
Current geosocial-networking applications have been completely utilized to supply HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other MSM health problems substance usage, intimate partner physical violence, and intimate danger using. App-based intimate wellness interventions focusing on MSM ought to be developed, offered MSM’s willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social networking Utilize Will Continue To Rise in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. June 2018. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various medical issues for homosexual and bisexual males: Implications for brand new instructions in wellness training and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of homosexual, bisexual, along with other males who possess intercourse with males: Survey among users of grindr, a dating app that is mobile. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. Overview of risk behaviors for HIV disease by males who possess intercourse with males through geosocial phone that is networking. Journal regarding the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking app use among young black males who possess intercourse with guys: A multi-city survey that is cross-sectional the southern usa. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking application that is smartphone and engagement in condomless rectal intercourse among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who possess intercourse with males who utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of cellular phone apps for HIV prevention among males who possess intercourse with males in London: Web-based study. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social networking Interventions to advertise HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Web Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more information, contact Dustin Duncan at email@example.com
This work ended up being sustained by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through this new York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and ny University class of Medicine Start-Up Research Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is definitely an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on general general public health conditions pertaining to HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV analysis NYU university of worldwide Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor nyc , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL